Skip to page content

Wednesday, November 4, 2020

European Conference of Minsters of Transport (ECMT) permits allow you to transport most types of goods (or drive an empty vehicle) through ECMT member countries, which include most EU countries and neighbouring areas such as Norway, Switzerland, RuECMTssia and Turkey.

Because the transition period of Brexit is ending, you might need ECMT permits for journeys to or through the EU from 1 January 2021, and the government is urging haulage companies to apply now in case they’re needed.

You need to apply for permits for 2021 by 11:59pm on 20 November 2020.

Permits will only be allocated after the application period has ended. They are not allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. You will also need to carry an ECMT certificate of compliance and an ECMT certificate of roadworthiness for each vehicle and trailer.

You have to pay a non-refundable £10 application fee for each permit, and £123 per permit for an annual ECMT permit for use in 2021.

You can read more about how to apply for ECMT Permits here.


Changes to international road haulage from 1 January 2021

The government have released guidance that explains what goods vehicle operators need to do to carry out international road haulage from 1 January 2021. This includes:

  • Carrying the right operator licence
  • Having the right permits – you should apply for ECMT permits in case they’re needed. Applications for ECMT permits for 2021 will be open between 2 November-20 November 2020
  • Registering your vehicle trailers to take them abroad
  • Applying for a keeper’s certificate for an abnormal load trailer
  • Carrying your vehicle registration documents
  • Using the ‘Check an HGV is ready to cross the border’ service, which will also allow you to apply for a Kent Access Permit. This service will be operational by December
  • Displaying a GB sticker
  • Contacting your insurer for Green Cards at least six weeks before they’re needed
  • Checking what happens if your vehicle is involved in an accident
  • Checking what your drivers need to do to drive in the EU professionally

You can read more about changes to international road haulage here.

Back to all news posts